Saturday

First Full Day in Targoviste!

    It's about 1 in the morning here. I am already in love with Targoviste! It is beautiful. It is a poor city, but the history and culture is breathtaking. It's a whole new world over here. I even feel like the sky looks different hahaha. But it's a different kind of blue. Drivers over here are absolutely CRAZY! Pedestrians do not have the right of way. . . I think we've all almost gotten ran over! But the stray dogs have it worst. They are getting hit all the time. I think I've sen about 40 different dogs while here, and only two were on a leash. There are so many! It is kind of sad! Danielle and Maddie started naming each one they saw!

     So far I've met amazing people (so many new friends!) and have had amazing food! Today after having breakfast, the team met over at the church to meet for orientation where we were debriefed about the different ministries, our schedule, and the language. Apparently poop means kiss over here and the word foot is equivalent to the f-word. So we have been having tons of fun with that! ;)
     We then drove over to the gypsy village and partnered with the ministry Micro Kids. There are about 3 other Americans over here who are a part of Masters Commission as well as about 5 Romanians, and they all held a service in the park for about 25 gypsy children with games, songs, candy, puppets, a drama/Bible lesson, and object lesson. The kids loved it, and loved playing at the park with us. Not one of them knew English though, so I found myself only being able to smile and nod as a way of communication! They loved even more my camera. Kids totally charged at me wanting to me to take their picture! They gypsy children were extremely poor- the majority of the children did not have shoes, were dirty, and many of the toddlers were walking around half naked with only a T-shirt. It was heart breaking. All the kids looked out for each other like they understood their situation. For example, I saw a little boy eating what I think was a jelly sandwhich and he broke into into thirds for his little baby sister and brother. :') They were absolutely stunning though- dark skin with the most wildly colored piercing eyes I have ever seen. My camera wasn't able to capture the color, but that will definitely be something I won't forget! Here are pics from the park:











   



After we visited the gypsy village, we had an awesome lunch (did I mention how good this food is?) and headed off to another site for Micro Kids. We went to Ludesti which is about 40 minutes outside Targoviste where we were able to meet and hold a service in a tiny church with about 60 kids! It was awesome. I was even able to talk to a few of them asking them their name in Romanian. We also played ninja! It surprise me that they knew this game! 

After another awesome meal, we went to the youth service at the church here. We were able to recognize the majority of the songs they were singing and sing along in English. People gave awesome testimonies about street witnessing and opening the doors & planting seeds. So after the service, we rounded up some of the youth on the streets and invited them to join us in scavenger hunt! We were all divided up into about 5 teams with a mix between Christian Romanians, Americans, and unsaved Romanians. It was fun and lasted about two hours. It was awesome making friendships. Some of the things on our list included a toilet seat, pizza box, bus ticket, and fitting our whole group in a phone booth! Fun times. We got in at about 10:30pm over here. I'm having a blast and can't wait for tomorrow. Until then. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment